Country Music Quiz! As heard on Chris Country Radio.
1. In 1968 Tammy Wynette released the number 1 hit Stand By Your Man but how many times was Wynette married?
2. In 2014 Little Big Town released the song Girl Crush which was controversial on Country Radio but which three women wrote it? Bonus points if you can tell me how many Grammy’s it won?
3. Which two country outlaws founded the Highwaymen alongside Johnny Cash and Waylon Jennings?
4. In 2017 which artist became the first artist in history to simultaneously top the five main Billboard Country charts?
5. In 2016 Merle Haggard died on his 79th Birthday but which artist officiated his funeral? Bonus points if you can tell me where Merle Haggard first saw Johnny Cash perform?
6. I Will Always Love You was recorded by Whitney Houston in 1992 for the film The Bodyguard and it went to number 1 in the UK but which Country artist wrote and recorded it first, taking it to number 1 in the States 18 years before? Bonus points if you can tell me which artist wanted to record it first but the songwriter turned them down?
7. Grand Ole Opry Member Crystal Gayle has had 20 number 1 singles whilst her sister has had 24 including Coal Miners Daughter, who is her sister?
8. Which Country artist is the only artist in music history to have 7 albums that have achieved diamond status from the RIAA surpassing The Beatles previous record of 6?
9. Dolly Parton is the Godmother of which famous Pop singer who rose to fame playing Hannah Montana on the Disney Channel?
10. Ashley Campbell got her start in the music industry by playing banjo for her Dad on one of his songs when he went on tour, which song was it?
11. In 2003 on the eve of the Iraq war during a show in London, the Dixie Chicks said “We don’t want this war and we’re ashamed that the President of the United States of America is from Texas” which president were they talking about?
12. For one week this year we had three US Country artists in the top 12 of our mainstream singles chart as they collaborated with artists from other genres, they were Florida Georgia Line collaborating with Bebe Rexha on the song Meant to Be, Chris Stapleton collaborating with Justin Timberlake on the song Say Something and who was collaborating with Zedd and Grey on Grammy nominated The Middle?
13. Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton made the song Islands in the Stream a crossover hit but which band made up of three brothers wrote it?
14. What venue is known as the mother church of Country music?
15. Which 2018 inductee into the Country Music Hall of Fame died after a car accident as she
arrived at the Grand Ole Opry?
16. Where did Scott Borchetta first see Taylor Swift perform?
17. For the past nine years the CMA Award For Female Vocalist of the Year has been passed
between Miranda Lambert and which other female artist who currently holds the title?
18. Which artist wrote and performed Annie’s Song and I’m Leaving on a Jet Plane?
19. Which Country Rock artist who released such songs as Relentless, Any Ol Barstool and
Drowns the Whisky has had 19 songs top either the Hot Country songs or Country Airplay
20. Lady Antebellum made famous the song Downtown but songwriters Luke Laird, Natalie
Hemby and Shane McAnally intended it to be sung by which female Country artist?
1. 5 Times
2. Songwriters: Liz Rose, Hillary Lindsey, Lori McKenna (The Love Junkies). Bonus: 2 Grammy's
3. Willie Nelson and Kris Kristofferson
4. Kane Brown
5. Marty Stuart. Bonus: San Quentin Prison
6. Songwriter: Dolly Parton. Bonus: Elvis Presley as he wanted half the writing credits despite never writing a note.
7. Loretta Lynn
8. Garth Brooks
9. Miley Cyrus
10. Gentle On My Mind
11. George W Bush
12. Maren Morris
13. The Bee Gees
14. The Ryman Auditorium
15. Dottie West
16. The Bluebird Cafe
17. Carrie Underwood
18. John Denver
19. Jason Aldean
20. Miranda Lambert
Quiz created by Zoe Hodges for Chris Country Radio and The Writers Room.